Nineteen.

When I walked into the hotel for the JDRF Symposium last Saturday morning, two of my favorite little girls had their arms around my waist before I could even drop my bags. In that moment, I realized how thankful I am to have this life — truly, genuinely and without reservation grateful.

Photo Jan 14, 4 05 33 PM

Today marks 19 years with diabetes. If I could eliminate this disease from my body at the cost of losing those two girls and their families in my life, I wouldn’t do it. If erasing diabetes from my life meant not knowing you, I’m happy to keep it. I am who I am because of this disease — inside and out. It has given me confidence and shown me how to be a fighter. It’s been a significant contributor to my outlook on life and believing in hope. It has taught me to be compassionate and sympathetic toward others and realize that everyone is fighting a battle regardless of whether we can see it. It’s helped me learn every emotion is valid and every voice needs to be heard.

Photo Jan 14, 4 11 06 PM

When I think about the highlights of my life and the most important people in my life, diabetes makes an appearance in nearly every scenario. Scripture reminds me I was knit together long ago, and there’s no flaw in me. My diabetes has shaped me, and I don’t see it as a negative thing. I am thankful for the tough days with diabetes because they make me stronger. I’m grateful for the difficult hours with this disease because those moments give me determination. I am thankful diabetes makes me work a little harder because it makes the finish line that much sweeter. You may feel differently about your diabetes connection, and that’s perfectly fine. It took 19 years for my heart to reach this place.

My diagnosis seems like a lifetime ago, but I’m thankful for diabetes in my life. Without it, I wouldn’t be me and I wouldn’t have you.

7 Responses

Page 1 of 1
  1. Kerri.
    Kerri. January 18, 2013 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Happy diaversary, friend. x

2. Sarah
    Sarah January 18, 2013 at 10:04 am | | Reply

Happy Diaversary left arm! So glad that we have met BECAUSE of diabetes. It makes life with it so much better to know wonderful people and friends like you!! Have a super, wonderfully, great day!!

3. StephenS
    StephenS January 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

Happy Diaversary. Love your outlook on life. Inspirational.

4. Cara
    Cara January 18, 2013 at 12:22 pm | | Reply

I often remind myself that all things work together for good. My diabetes has bright such good into my life. Including you.
    Happy Diaversary!

5. Allison Nimlos
    Allison Nimlos January 18, 2013 at 1:12 pm | | Reply

Happy diaversary! You have a great outlook on life with diabetes. Definitely an inspiration. :)

6. Allison Nimlos
    Allison Nimlos January 18, 2013 at 1:13 pm | | Reply

I forgot to mention that my 19th diaversary is in about a week! Obviously the best diabetics were diagnosed in January 1994 ;)

7. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson January 20, 2013 at 10:17 pm | | Reply

Happy 19, Victoria! You are awesome.

Victoria Cumbow She Reads Truth Crazy Love by Francis Chan You Can Do This Project Diabetes Advocates Diabetes Social Media Advocacy Life for a Child Amazima Ministries Matt Chandler's sermons and book The War Eagle Reader (in)courage Annie Blogs Pete Wilson's blog and book Featured in Best of the 'Betes Blogs

DiaBeatThis on Facebook